Thursday, February 6, 2014

Seriously - Valentine's Day sucks

I want to provide a ban on Valentine's Day in classrooms. Seriously- it's only about popularity and candy.  Each year, my kids sit and organize their valentines by how much they like certain classmates. The crappier ones go to the kids they don't really like, the best ones go to their BFF's and crushes (yes I know you have them. You've never mentioned this kid Carlos, yet he gets THE best valentine - c'mon).  They bring home a crap load of candy that I then have to smuggle out of the house without them seeing it (my coworkers can fill their bodies with sugar).  Don't even get me started on the actual shopping for these little pieces of cardboard validation - it always turns into a mini-sode of The Young and the Indecisive.

They turned Halloween into Fall Festival, and took away the ability to wear costumes.  This was one of the few holidays a kid could express his individuality and creativity, and they turned it into a celebration of  a vegetable no kid even wants to eat (squash) and dead leaves. I understand the issues with childhood obesity, but you allow candy to V-Day and "Winter holidays" so I'm calling shenanigans on your flimsy justifications for this. Besides, who doesn't want to dress like Batman or a Banana?


No comments:

Post a Comment